As part of our own journey icologie participated in the pilot phase of Eco Ethics and received certification. This is part of Eco Standard where an applicant needs to prove that their company is ‘green’.
It would be pretty remis of us to not try and do something ourselves… So here’s what we’ve done…. so far! Remember, it’s a journey for all of us, we’re not perfect, but we are improving all the time It’s about making change that is sustainable and will last. Why not have a go at some of these yourself?
- Low flow shower head and tap aerators in bathroom to reduce water usage.
- Multi-flush toilet.
- Practices:Turning off taps when not necessary
- Reducing shower times
- Showering together..err … well with your partner…err … personal partner, not business partner! We’re close…. but not that close.
- Office / home
- ‘Owl’ energy monitor system for real time consumption
- Natural ventilation – no air-conditioning
- Natural light for illumination
- Natural heating – put on a jersey!
- Geyser set at 55 degrees Celsius
- Geyser timer fitted – currently operating for 30 minutes in the morning and evening
- Twin electricity circuit to allow unnecessary items to be switched off at night.
- CFL bulbs throughout the building
- Web site hosted at “1&1″. All energy purchased through renewable energy providers. For more click here
- Web site template “ecopro” from pagelines. Donate 10% of price to eco projects. Ours went to www.ran.org
- Majority of Apple computers - efficient power, lifecycle reporting, product reports, recycling etc. For more click here
- Low power/energy saver equipment – Printers, Green Ethernet, Telephones, Computers, Fridge
- Lift sharing where possible – motor cycle & cycle where practical
- We are testing an electric scooter from Melex
- Flexible working hours to minimise sitting in traffic
- Use of skype for meetings instead of traveling
- Turn off unnecessary equipment and lights
- Use flask for hot water – Boil the kettle once and fill
- Biodegradable cleaning products
- Waste separation – organic, recyclable, non-reycleable, electronic
- Recycling is collected and recycled by NoStanding
- Reuse of both sides of the paper
- Purchase paper from renewable source and/or recycled source
- Minimise printing
- Worm farm for organic waste
- Compost heap for extra organic waste
- We have a small garden at the office and are proud of our clivia (-;
Obviously most of what we do is about encouraging sustainability but we are also trying to offer more to our communities too.
- The team members take turns to cook and share lunch at the office
- Guest lecturing and sustainability talks – We talk about sustainability issues to forums, communities, groups, schools etc. We offer the big picture and solutions in anything from 30 minutes to an hour. If you would like us to captivate you with sustainability then – click here
Sustainability or bust!
the icologie team